Monday, October 1, 2007

Dapping Punches







JPGMagazine is taking submissions in a theme called "Tools of the Trade". I went to the basement today to find some interesting-looking tools in Mark's workshop. I don't know what these things are, my guess is that they are used for raising silver or maybe removing dents. Mark will have to confirm for me (he's out of town at the moment, so I'll have to ask him later). In this picture they look like soldiers.

***Update: I talked with Mark and it turns out these are dapping punches. They are used to punch metal into round shapes. This would be done to make hollow round spheres, or to make round depressions in metal when embossing or chasing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to see all your pictures, Mindy, but this one is especially compelling.