Sunday, February 10, 2008

News

Since I'm having trouble sleeping, I've decided to take this opportunity to share some photography-related news.

First, thanks to the fact that Mark's sister and her family have invited us to visit them over my spring break, I will have an exciting and exotic ending to my year of daily picture-making. Last summer Lynne, Scott and their four kids moved to Shanghai, China. Mark and I will be flying to the other side of the world on March 22, and staying until March 30. I think the last day of my project is March 29. I'm a little scared of putting pressure on myself to take outstanding photos during this trip (I have mentioned before that my best pictures seem to be of the more mundane), but I think I am practically guaranteed to get some interesting pictures.

Secondly, I would like to announce the plan for my next project. Although I have learned a lot from disciplining myself to take pictures every day, I'm finding that at this point I'm just focused on getting a picture to post. I haven't spent much time actually learning about my new camera, or challenging myself to become less dependent on the automatic settings (although lately I have been shooting in aperture priority mode, which requires some thought). And I have spent no time learning about Photoshop Elements.


So, starting in April, I will be taking each month to focus on a particular theme or subject matter. I will try to post at least once a week, and will not limit myself to just one photo per post. I think I'll commit to another year in this new format, and see how it goes. Just thinking about it makes me very excited--hopefully this will jumpstart my enthusiasm for photography, which has been waning a bit lately.

6 comments:

Ellen said...

China! That's going to be awesome.

Anonymous said...

So happy you'll continue with your photography! I truly enjoy it! can't wait to see the pictures from China!

Anonymous said...

Your new project sounds exciting both for you and your viewers! What a great idea! Mom

Sarah Jane said...

aha! I've been wondering! that is a great idea. Have you thought about themes yet?

Rebecca said...

So glad you'll keep posting!! Say hi to those dear China-dwellers for me!

mle said...

Since I've started back up again, I'm going back through old posts. This grand plan never made it very far...But now there has been enough time away that I can be excited again about taking pictures every day.
I wonder if I'll have as exciting an ending to this year's project as the previous one...