Saturday, December 12, 2015

Reeds


After I finished my first Photo-a-Day project almost 8 years ago I decided for a while to keep taking pictures and posting them, but not limit myself to only posting one a day. It was hard sometimes to pick just one photo, especially on a day when I had taken time to focus on picture-making, and had lots of nice shots to choose from.

Today was one of those days. This weekend we went to Mission Meadows, an Evangelical Covenant Church camp on Lake Chautauqua in western New York, for a quick overnight visit with some friends.

The weather was unseasonably warm, though cloudy. We walked and played and rock climbed and threw rocks into the lake. And I took a lot of pictures.

It was hard to decide what photo to post, but I think the process of deciding is honing my skills as a photographer, and is making me think about why I want to take pictures, and consider what, if anything, I'm trying to say through my pictures. 

To be honest, I'm still not really sure why I want to take pictures, and I'm not sure what, if anything, I'm trying to say with this particular picture, but I did feel that a cute picture of Isaiah throwing rocks into the lake or a picture with some interesting perspective and shallow depth of field felt less like what I was trying to say than this abstract photo of reeds in the water.


No comments: